2014 (1) allergies (7) apples (1) axe (1) bacon (1) battery bank (3) beer (19) bees (122) berries (3) biltong (1) BioDiesel (1) black soldier flies. (1) blueberries (7) book review (14) bread (2) brewing (38) bush knife (1) canning (10) cats (1) cellar (1) chainsaw (1) cheese (9) chickens (26) cider (3) cider review (11) cleaning products (1) cooking (2) coop (3) creek (1) cyder (13) cyser (12) deck (3) dehydrator (4) diary_toledo (28) diy (48) farm (2) fire (1) firewood (1) flood (2) fodder (6) food (13) food review (5) gardening (14) gluten (6) goats (1) goji (1) greenhouse (2) hive check (5) homestead (1) homesteading (10) honey (7) jam (7) kids (1) kittens (1) land clearing (3) lessons (1) mead (1) MH hive (35) move (2) mower (1) muntons (2) mushrooms (2) paleo (1) pork (1) power (3) prepping (1) projects (3) pumphouse (3) queen (2) re-queen (1) review (1) rootbeer (2) septic (2) sharpening (1) shaving (1) shed (17) SJ hive (24) skills (3) soap (2) starter (2) steven harris (1) storm (1) swarm (7) tip (2) to-do (1) todo (1) toledo (3) top bar hives (2) toyon hive (9) trees (2) vanilla extract (1) washington (3) wasps (1) water (3) wax moths (1) well (1) wilderwolf (1) wine (15) winter 2015 (1) winter 2016 (1) wood (1) worms (2) yogurt (2)

2015/03/12

Created 1st top bar hive

I created my first top bar hive based upon the plans from the Biobees.com Top bar hive plans.

I made the hive 36" long to reduce left over lumber. And to learn how at 3' hive works. Fun project, especially with making it mostly with a circular saw, I had to create jigs to make the top bars. I might re-do a few bars since some are rather crooked and I want Q to learn how to use a radial arm saw (other neighbour has one).

This is a shared project with my next door neighbour G.  I ordered a package of Carnies to put into this hive.

Pictures:
(the shark fin thing sticking up is one of the 2 followers used to change internal hive size. And those are corks plugging the holes for now)



No comments: