Over the weekend we did a hive check, (reminder, we are using medium hive boxes this time around). The 2nd box is 1/2 caped honey/brood, the bottom box looks quite full also. We we added a 3rd medium (3 mediums=2 deeps) to give them room. I moved 3 frames of open/capped honey/brood to the 3rd brood box to encourage them to move up.
I am trying something I've not tried before, I added to the 2nd/3rd brood boxes an empty frame. I hope this will be used to build comb/drone cells so I can see how it works for mite control.
I'll be getting a new queen excluder this week so we can add honey supers. I currently have 2, I'll be swapping full frames of honey in/out as they fill up. I wonder how scotch bonnet honey tastes....
Swimming in Houseplants + 11/19 Pullet Day
2 days ago