2014 (1) allergies (7) apples (1) axe (1) bacon (1) battery bank (3) beer (16) bees (122) berries (3) biltong (1) BioDiesel (1) black soldier flies. (1) blueberries (7) book review (14) bread (2) brewing (36) bush knife (1) canning (10) cats (1) cellar (1) chainsaw (1) cheese (9) chickens (22) cider (3) cider review (11) cleaning products (1) cooking (2) coop (3) creek (1) cyder (13) cyser (12) deck (3) dehydrator (4) diary_toledo (26) diy (48) farm (2) fire (1) firewood (1) flood (2) fodder (6) food (13) food review (5) gardening (14) gluten (6) goats (1) goji (1) greenhouse (2) hive check (5) homestead (1) homesteading (10) honey (7) jam (7) kids (1) kittens (1) land clearing (3) lessons (1) mead (1) MH hive (35) move (2) mower (1) muntons (2) mushrooms (2) paleo (1) pork (1) power (3) prepping (1) projects (3) pumphouse (3) queen (2) re-queen (1) review (1) rootbeer (2) septic (2) sharpening (1) shaving (1) shed (17) SJ hive (24) skills (3) soap (2) starter (2) steven harris (1) storm (1) swarm (7) tip (2) to-do (1) todo (1) toledo (3) top bar hives (2) toyon hive (9) trees (2) vanilla extract (1) washington (3) wasps (1) water (3) wax moths (1) well (1) wilderwolf (1) wine (15) winter 2015 (1) winter 2016 (1) wood (1) worms (2) yogurt (2)

2010/04/18

Swarm #2! Darn It!

I got a call from Fuzzy Sat AM around 1045. The SJ hive was swarming! Dang it! I rushed home, grabbed up my gear, grabbed up a few options for a temp holder for the bees, and rushed over. The bees were gathered in a peach tree buzzing away. Fuzzy held the plastic tote underneath the bees and I started scraping/knocking them in. You really get an adrenalin rush doing that. After I scraped/brushed the majority into the tote, we set it down on the ground with the cover partially on then used BeeQuick to spray the tree. The bees left the tree and buzzed around. They started to form on the front of the tote so we raised it up off the ground with a box. The collected on the box, so we brushed them off and sprayed BeeQuick on the box and tote sides and front. After letting them settle for 10 minutes I put the top on fully, taped it down. And took it to Eastside SJ. Once there it was an easy enough task to remove 4 frames, knock the bees in, and close the hive up.

Click for pics.

Bee-Quick info

No comments: